10 tips for Choosing a University
According to Reabetsoe Buys, counselling psychologist at Monash South Africa, ten things that are important to consider when choosing a campus for your tertiary studies include:
- The quality of lecturers, class size and learning support - personal attention can greatly affect the quality and depth of your learning
- Whether the campus has global links or networks that offer opportunities to learn from a global viewpoint and become an active global citizen
- If a campus offers an entrepreneurial viewpoint and teaches you to be adaptable and entrepreneurially-minded in your future career
- If the university offers inter-disciplinary degrees and programmes that give rounded or flexible academic learning programmes
- Whether the social experience on campus will offer you the opportunity to engage with a variety of different individuals and nationalities, enhancing your cultural learning
- If the campus has good graduate prospects which will grant the opportunity to participate in internships and learnerships that expose you to the working world
- If a campus has interactive Community Engagement programmes which encourage volunteering, these enhance leadership, project management and time management skills, while making a difference in a local community
- Whether or not there are support services which include counselling, academic and learning support, skills development as well as support for students with special needs.
- Beyond the academic programme, whether or not the institute will assist you to gain the appropriate knowledge and work readiness skills that can be applied in a variety of organisational settings including the corporate, government and non-profit sectors
- Whether students are provided with the tools to understand the issues affecting contemporary business challenges. Your degree should allow you to comprehend, critically evaluate and interpret the workings of global business and doing business in Africa.
About Monash South Africa
The impressive, state-of-the-art Monash South Africa (MSA) campus in Johannesburg is dedicated to support South Africa and the continent to meet its diverse economic and educational needs by producing graduates who are internationally recognised. MSA has four schools: Business and Economics, Health Sciences, Information Technology and Social Science and a one-year Foundation Programme pathway to articulate into undergraduate degrees. MSA became the first institution in Sub-Saharan Africa to join the Laureate International Universities network in 2013. To learn more, visit www.msa.ac.za
About Laureate Education, Inc
Laureate Education is the world’s leading higher education provider. Laureate’s more than 70 universities educate over 1,000,000 students in 25 countries across the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Laureate’s universities offer Undergraduate, Masters and Doctoral degree programs in fields such as architecture, business, engineering, hospitality management, law and medicine. Many Laureate institutions are ranked among the top providers of higher education in their respective regions, countries and fields, and have received international recognition for their academic quality. To learn more, visit www.laureate.net