Allen & Overy – Our Firm
With approximately 5000 people working in 46 major financial centres in 32 countries, Allen & Overy is a truly global law firm.
At a time of huge change in the legal industry, we are determined to continue leading the market as we have throughout our 83-year history. We’ll do that by staying one step ahead and by constantly challenging ourselves to bring new and original ways of thinking to the most complex legal challenges our clients face.
We are able to build on the foundations of our long heritage to attract the most talented people and develop the high-performance culture necessary to innovate and change the face of business. Our commitment to help our clients deliver their global strategies has seen us build a truly global network. We have also developed strong ties with relationship law firms in more than 100 countries where we do not have a presence which means that we are able to cover 99% of the world’s economy.
This network has allowed us to become one of the largest and most connected law firms in our peer group with a global reach and local depth that is simply unrivalled. So when we talk about global coverage, we’re not just talking about having offices in some important cities around the world. We mean being able to combine our international resources and sector expertise to work on cross-border transactions directly in the markets and regions important to our clients.
Allen & Overy in South Africa
Johannesburg has become a key hub for local and international banks, development institutions, institutional investors and funds looking at investment and finance opportunities in Sub-Saharan Africa.Our team in South Africa is fully integrated into Allen & Overy’s worldwide network, complementing our wider African capability which includes both our Casablanca office and our global Africa Group comprising over one hundred lawyers worldwide. Building on the success of our already established Africa practice at Allen & Overy, we are now able to offer clients a seamless service across sectors, combining a global presence and specialisation with a premium local team.
A&O has been involved in a significant amount of work in Africa to date – highlights in the past year include:
- South Africa: advising the Republic of South Africa on its inaugural sukuk, the continent’s first international sukuk issuance
- Kenya: advising the sponsors on the development and financing of the 300MW Lake Turkana Wind Project
- Nigeria: advising the lenders on the USD3.3billion financing for Dangote to finance a petroleum refinery
- Chad: advising the lenders on the USD1.3bn prepayment facility in favour of Glencore Energy UK Ltd for advance payments for crude oil purchases from the Société des Hydrocarbures du Tchad
- Guinea: advising CPI International Minerals Co. Ltd. in relation to its world-scale alumina project in Guinea