The Global Data Training Program
Your career as a Global Data Analyst will begin with our foundational training programme that focuses on financial concepts, data, and Bloomberg terminal functionality. The training offers an overview across all financial market sectors that build a foundation for a career at Bloomberg by developing product knowledge, understanding our clients, and building relationships throughout the company. In addition, the program supports new hires to develop technical skills to analyse processes, suggest improvements and contribute to our culture of innovation and customer service to meet Bloomberg's high standards for interactions with our customers. After successfully completing the training, you will be prepared to begin your career as a Data Analyst.
Bloomberg Global Data is one of the world's leading sources of data, providing accurate, up-to-the-second insights for financial market professionals. Our Data Analysts are immersed in all aspects of Bloomberg. Data teams include Corporate Finance; Equities; Economic Statistics; Fixed Income; Funds and New Energy Finance. The data collected provides transparency into the markets and specific securities and will continue to build on the core foundation of our business as we expand our depth and breadth of coverage. Whether you are sourcing market data from new or existing providers, processing complex financial data or implementing technology solutions to enhance our processes and software, your work will expand your data management skills, research skills and bolster your financial knowledge.
As an entry level Data Analyst, you'll play a key role in sourcing and updating the numbers, algorithms, and analytics that make Bloomberg data the most influential data in the world. You will enhance and report financial markets content for the Bloomberg Professional service (the Bloomberg Terminal) that inspires news and drives analysis that empowers our clients to make better-informed decisions. Data Analysts are also expected to provide unparalleled customer service and solve complex issues, while building relationships with key market players in the financial industry. Your role starts off with the Global Data Training Program and you will be placed into one of the following teams as an Analyst:
Corporate Finance; Equities; Economic Statistics; Fixed Income; Funds and Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Please indicate your preferred team using the drop down when you apply to the Global Data Analyst role.
- Source and validate raw data that enables our clients to make better-informed decisions
- Maintain, improve and deliver accurate, high quality information for the Bloomberg Professional Service
- Assist our world-renowned client support help desk with data related client inquiries
- Acquire market and client insight to drive developments of our data products, coverage, and quality initiatives
- Apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative work-flow efficiencies and implement technology solutions to enhance our processes and software tools
- Liaise with Product, Sales, News and Research & Development to enhance relevant product databases
Qualifications, skills and experience required:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Prior experience/coursework or strong knowledge and understanding of the financial markets
- Keen interest/knowledge of information management/ technology, product development and problem solvin
- Ability to adapt in a fast paced changing environment
We are also looking for candidates to possess at least one of the following skills:
- Knowledge in information technology or statistical analysis or computer programming (for example VBA, SQL, MATLAB, Python)
- Effective project management skills and ability to prioritize tasks accordingly
- Experience in Customer Service or Client Relationship Management
This role is for a February 2016 start and is based in Cape Town, South Africa.
What Bloomberg does - and how you can make your mark here:
Bloomberg delivers critical information in a world where information matters. We give influential decision makers in business, finance and government a competitive edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of news, people and ideas. To do that, we need a constant flow of ideas, energy and innovation-which is where you come in.
At Bloomberg, you will have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. Be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news and media services fosters innovation and empowers clients - and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.