The main role of the Control Room Intern is to remotely monitor and control the company’s power generation facilities to optimise energy production and ensure safety. The role is shift-based, contributing toward 24/7/365 RMC availability.
Monitoring and controlling is done through the operation of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Computerised Maintenance and Management (CMMS) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), systems. SCADA, CMMS, ERP and other systems are used to detect, analyse, respond and report on events that could negatively impact power plant energy production and operational safety and facilitate optimal asset performance.
As this is an internship position, applicants should have less that 1 year’s working experience.
In line with our Employment Equity commitments, candidates from designated groups are preferred.
- Use the SCADA and CMMS systems to monitor the company’s renewable energy power plants to optimise energy production and improve plant key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Dispatch the on-site operations and maintenance (O&M) team to attend to outages, faults, communications infrastructure failures and any warnings or events
- Execute remote operations via the SCADA system as requested by authorised personnel
- Execute Eskom plant control commands on request from authorised personnel
- Analyse, interpret and report power quality events
- Troubleshoot and analyse data including following various types of process charts and schematics - such as electrical drawings, etwork diagrams and workflow diagrams, to:
- Undertake initial investigations
- Apply corrective action
- Raise work requests for on-site intervention
- Assist with compliance and performance reporting by gathering information, using the SCADA and CMMS
- Monitor company IT/network infrastructure; interrogate events to identify root causes and escalate accordingly
- Attend to incoming calls and escalation procedures
- Support the company work planning and control process, by creating work requests, planning work and completing feedback on completed work
- Be responsible for following all cooperative safety policies and procedures
- Monitor and identify continuous and focused improvement opportunities
- Perform other work-related activities as requested by Operations Engineer or Senior Control Room Operator.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent command of English
- Able to distinguish colour and hear alarms
- Effective, verbal communication: includes being responsive, having good listening skills and being able to communicate appropriately with all levels of personnel
- Effective written communication: includes writing clear, concise e-mails and report-writing
- Able to manage stress and high-pressure situations
- Able to handle multiple projects, prioritise work and work effectively under minimal supervision
- Well-organised and responsive in all communications
- Good team player; able to balance team and individual responsibilities
- Open to new learning opportunities.
Experience, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- All courses completed prior to P1 (Electrical) or P2 (Mechatronic) of a National Diploma or a Bachelor of Technology Degree in Electrical / Mechatronic Engineering
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel is required
- Knowledge of or experience in the use of SCADA would be advantageous
- Exposure to power plant or field maintenance is advantageous
- Knowledge of/experience in ERP/CMMS systems such as SAP, IFS or Ellipse is an advantage
- Knowledge of Network data communications, client/server functions and hardware/software architectures, is an advantage
- Working knowledge of power plant production would be advantageous.
- Job type:Internships
Engineering, Engineering Electrical, Engineering Mechatronics
South African Citizen, South African...
- Closing Date:15th Oct 2018, 9:59 pm