The Operations Intern will assist the Operations Engineer, to develop the centralised capability of the Operations function in a technical supporting capacity, which consist of supporting a variety of equipment or systems, including the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), control system, generation systems, plant performance management and any other business-related systems.
The Operations Intern will primarily assist in deploying monitoring and performance tracking systems and assisting with the development of the SCADA systems further to achieve this.
As this is an internship position, applicants should have less that 1 year’s working experience.
In line with our Employment Equity commitments, candidates from designated groups are preferred.
- Development systems and processes to improve the Remote Operations Centre (ROC) capability and performing other continuous improvement or focused improvement projects.
- Develop and operationalise power plant, operations and ROC procedures, processes and other documentation.
- Prepare Key Performance Indicator (KPI) and performance reports that reports the plant, functional area or organisational performance.
- Development, operations and maintenance of SCADA systems and other data collection, plant performance reporting or plant based IT systems.
- Development of engineering or operations systems that will increase the capability of the Operations team.
- Execute projects related to business continuity plan findings and recommendations.
- Support the closing of all audit findings made in operations and control systems.
- Execute IT policies and procedures related to power plant and control systems.
- Procurement of capital expenditure items or services and generating purchase orders.
- Define and document scope of work for capital expenditure and operational projects.
- Troubleshoot and analyse data, including various types of process charts and schematics - such as electrical drawings, network diagrams and process workflow diagrams, to,
- Undertake initial investigations and apply corrective action and
- Ensure processes meet business needs.
- Provide operational support by downloading of plant settings and parameters and investigating SCADA configurations.
- Provide technical support on control systems, SCADA systems, inverters, wind turbines, electrical BOP, transformers and other electrical systems.
- Be responsible for following all cooperative safety policies and procedures.
- Any other duties, as assigned by the Operations Engineer, in line with the role.
Skills and Competencies:
- Technical skills and competencies required include:
- Must be able to troubleshoot and analyse data including following various types of process charts, schematics, single line diagrams, etc.
- Must be comfortable working with database systems, such as MSSQL, MySQL, Access, etc.
- Must be comfortable working with Wide Area Networks (WAN), Local Area Networks (LAN) and associated equipment.
- Able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and able to communicate appropriately with all levels of personnel.
- Able to manage stressful and high-pressure situations well.
- Able to handle multiple projects, prioritise work and work effectively under minimal supervision.
- Well-organised and responsive in all communications including clear, concise e-mails; adept at writing reports.
- Good team player; able to balance team and individual responsibilities.
- Must be a self-starter and able to work independently.
Experience, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechatronic, Electro-mechanical or Electrical/Electronic Engineering (BSc/BEng). Students completing their studies by the end of 2018 will also be considered.
- Very good MS Word and MS Excel skills; exposure to MS Project (or similar), MS Outlook and MS PowerPoint would be an advantage.
- Experience in project management would be an advantage.
- Any programming knowledge such as C, VB Script, Python will be advantageous.
- Working knowledge of network data communications is an advantage.
- Knowledge of data modelling and statistics is an advantage.
- Code 8 driver’s license or similar is an advantage.
- Job type:Internships
Engineering, Engineering Electrical, Engineering Mechanical, Engineering...
South African Citizen, South African...
- Closing Date:15th Oct 2018, 9:59 pm