Sanlam is a diversified Pan-African financial services group listed on the Johannesburg and Namibian Stock Exchanges. Since our inception in 1918 we have held true to our founding purpose of empowering South Africans to live their best possible lives by offering relevant financial products and services, as well as empowering communities where we do business. We are a fully diversified financial services group offering comprehensive and tailored financial solutions in five focused areas of expertise namely, Insurance, Financial Planning, Retirement, Investments and Wealth.
We have five business Clusters namely: Sanlam Personal Finance, Sanlam Investments, Sanlam Corporate, Sanlam Emerging Markets and Santam (including MiWay). The Sanlam Group Office is responsible for strategic direction, financial and risk management and marketing and communications.
Sanlam at a glance
The extent of our business (2016 Results)
- Total Assets under management (Sanlam Investments) = R792 billion
- Operating profit before tax = R12.7 billion
- Personnel = 12, 900 in SA and more than 70 000 in associates and subsidiaries
- Shareholders = 463 208
- A global footprint: Sanlam has successfully expanded to more than 40 countries across the world, with an extensive African footprint in more than 30 African countries. We also have business interests in India, Malaysia, the UK, Europe, Australia and the USA.
- Transformation is a big priority: Our employee demographics are increasingly well aligned to the South African population, from 45% black staff in 2006 to 71% in 2016.
- Empowerment partnership: The Ubuntu-Botho deal created value of about R15 billion at the end of the ten-year contractual period in December 2013, making it one of the most successful transactions of its kind in South African history. Partnership with Ubuntu-Botho is extended into the future with the launch of African Rainbow Capital in 2016.
- Sanlam has achieved a Level 2 B-BEE status.
Vision and Values
Our Vision is:
- To be the leader in client-centric wealth creation, management, and protection in South Africa;
- To be a leading Pan-African financial services Group with a meaningful presence in India and South-East Asia; and
- To play a niche role in wealth and investment management in specific developed markets.
Our Values are:
- Acting with integrity;
- Growing shareholder value through innovation and superior performance;
- Leading with courage;
- Serving with pride; and
- Caring because there is respect for one another.