- See additional jobs only visible to logged in members
- Allow employers to contact you directly
- Always be informed about when your ideal employers start hiring
Graduate Jobs in Engineering
Engineers are analytic people. They solve world problems with the use of scientific principles. No matter what industry you look at, there are graduate jobs in engineering available - Whether the graduate wants to be a part of the design and manufacturing of products, systems, and software to the construction of public buildings and roads.
The South African government has identified several key areas for development that has led to employment opportunities for engineering graduates. These are infrastructure, agriculture and mining, Green Economy, and manufacturing.
- Transport – Transnet, the national transport company in South Africa, invested R300 billion in infrastructure that includes the building of railways, harbours, port terminals, pipelines, and rail engineering works. All that development will result to graduate jobs in engineering.
- Green Economy – The Environmental Affairs Ministry of South Africa has been providing work opportunities for thousands of graduates, as the government pursue efforts to make the South African economy as green as possible. The country strives to be a world leader in climate science by the year 2018.
- Nuclear and Power Generation – South Africa plans to generate around 9.6 GW of electricity from nuclear energy by the year 2030. This will lead to the creation of construction and mining jobs for years to come.
The common disciplines that are in demand in South Africa job market are:
- Structural/Civil – Civil engineers design and build public structures, such as roads, buildings, and bridges. Structural engineers design and analyse the structural elements and systems to optimise human safety, comfort, and efficiency.
- Mechanical – Mechanical engineers are responsible for the design, manufacturing, and operation of machineries.
- Electrical – Electrical engineers use electrical circuitry and technology to produce and distribute power, as well control machines.
- Electronic – Electronic engineers utilise electrical devices and electricity to send communication and process information. Some of the devices they use include integrated circuits, radar, and computers.
- Mechatronic – Mechatronic engineers utilise computer, mechanical, electronic and control systems to create smart electronic products, automotive systems, and robots.
- Chemical/Processing – Chemical engineers design and operate industrial plants that transform raw materials into products that consumers can use that include pharmaceutical ingredients, fuels, cosmetics, and foods.
- Mining – Mining engineers construct and operate mines so that they can extract minerals and process them into usable products. South Africa is known to be the major producer of manganese, chrome and coal.
- Biological – Biological engineers use engineering principles to biology to find solutions for various problems.
- Aeronautical – Aeronautical engineers design and manufacture aircrafts such as helicopters and planes.
- Environmental – Environmental engineers strive to preserve and improve the environment with the use of engineering and scientific principles. They look for renewable energy solutions, improve water systems, and find solutions to reduce pollution.
- Software – Software engineers design and create computer systems and software in South Africa.
Engineering Graduate Programmes by Location
Enter an employer or university you want to find in our search bar.